If you have a social worker, they will assess your loved one for the correct type of care home and give you a directory of suitable placements.  If you do not have a social worker, the catorgories of home relate to the services they provide and are regulated for.

Residential homes are suitable for older people who have fraility and possibly other old age problems, but who have capacity and are able to make decisions for themselves.  EMI homes are registered for people who have a diagnosis of Dementia and other intellectual disabilities or mental ill health.  Nursing homes and nusing homes with EMI are for those older people whose medical problems need nursing care and need more interventions than their Dementia or mental health problems.